Letter to Kate 9th January 1918

DaMo said...

1917 i expect you mean 1918. Great idea. Really interessting. Hope there are a lots of letters to keep on writing.

January 27, 2008
Delete
Anonymous @mmonyte said...

Inspired by your blog, I transcribed and uploaded a couple of letters that have been in my Family for generations.
http://ccgi.ammonyte.plus.com/blog/?p=107

I believe that Jack and Sid were from Chorley, Lancashire.

January 28, 2008

















Raquel said...

I watched the program about this blog in ARD (Germany) last night and now I can't stop reading. Thank you very much for offering this present to the world.

Dear BL,
I got to know about your blog through "La Nacion"
newspaper here in Buenos Aires, Argentina and
want to congratulate you for your idea and work.
My grandfather Hugh Oliver Peter fought in the
Great War, I suppose Great as enormous and not as
grand and wonderful, and I have a letter he sent
his brother. I have forwarded your blog to a
friend who teaches History (we both work at St.
Matthew's College, a bilingual school in Greater
BA) so it can be used by the students as a kind
of primary source, better than reading a text
book. Once again congratulations
Annette Peter
Anonymous Michael Steele said...

I have enjoyed your blog - what a great way to share a forgotten era.

January 23, 2008

Sarah said...

What a fantastic idea - to blog all these letters. Well done. You must have lots of historians visiting this site. I am going to show my huband. He'll be fascinated.

January 17, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Gustav's great-granddaughter said...

I've noticed that Harry tends to write detailed letters only to his brother. Jack may not get everything that's happening to Harry at the front, but Harry really doesn't write more than "I'm alright, and thanks for your letter/package" to his sisters and wife.

My first thought was that this might be a product of his era, then I realized: I'm currently getting exactly the same fact-free letters from my nephew in Iraq.

January 17, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for all the work you are putting into this blog. We saw this featured on the CBC and have enjoyed getting caught up with Harry's letters. We are spreading the word to friends, co-workers and family. We eagerly await the next letter. Thanks again.

K & A, Calgary, AB. Canada

January 18, 2008

Delete
Blogger michelle hays said...

Poor harry. He's cold at nights. That must have been aweful.

January 18, 2008

Delete
Anonymous lasse said...

Fantastiskt att läsa, man lever sig in i händelserna. Önskar att det komm fler sådana bloggar som refererar till gammla skrivna brev.
/Lars

January 18, 2008

No comments: