Comments. Fresh Approach.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bill,
Wonderful and inspiring blog. What a lovely man your grandfather sounds. Surely he must make it through.
With regard to the lost letters between Harry and Ethel. I think I would feel uncomfortable reading such letters. Marriage is such a private relationship.
I am touched that Harry writes so differently to his sister - protecting her. A very gallant man. It must have been dreadfully hard for his family to wait for each letter,not knowing when the war would end.
Thank you Bill for sharing with us this wonderful correspondence.

January 16, 2008

Anonymous ToysNYC said...

I posted this blog to a popular military miniatures forum - we are all reall heavy history buffs.

There is great apreciation from all of us regarding this effort you are putting forth.

THank you so much.

January 18, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome look at what was happening in the world then...too bad there wasn't the technology then there is now in order to interview and get their comments recorded in a manner that all could be able to partake in, like they are now doing with the WWII vets that are still around.

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Looking forward to the next letter home.

January 13, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Hege said...

Norway calling.

We discovered this blog today, and then you will understand what we have been doing. I and my husband have been sitting here reading on our computers. The story is more facinating than I have words to express. We are both teachers, and I guess this story will be part of what we tell and show our pupils when we are dealing with WW1 in the 9th grade in the future.

Thank you ever so much.

January 13, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see what you are doing and i love it, it helps me understand how the soldiers felt back in the days of ww1.I am in the canadian military and me and my buddys are waiting for the next post, keep up the good work.
Jeremy

5:25 PM

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

For the life of me, I do not know how to access the letters. All I see are the comments. Please help!
Thank you,
London, Ontario

You're clearly on the main page as that's where you've entered the comment! You must have "opened" the comments so that some of the posts with loads of comments have "taken over". I suggest you start again at wwar1.blogspot.com and stick to the links on the left! BL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello
I am marit from norway. This is great!All the work you do, and to come up with a idea like this.....
I'm looking forward to read all the letters and all the history around Harry and his company during the war.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such an amazing insight. We are investigating my wife's great-grandfather's WWI experience. He was in 2/4th York and Lancaster and died at Bullecourt on 3 May 1917.

Unknown said...

I love the website. Very interesting how he wrote to his brother and sister. Just puts you back in 1917. Wish i was in that time so I could have sent food or something to those troops. The conditions they were in. Well I love history and this teaches you a part of war that they dont cover in School. Thank You so much for this website and i cannot wait to read more!

Nate W

Dubuque, Iowa