CBC Broadcast

Blogger Matt said...

While I understand site management and all, I really would like to know what happened to Harry today!

January 13, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful project. It makes the horrors of war seem almost mundane, an indication of how it must have affected those who were there. My uncle was with the CEF and was fortunate to come through with no physical injuries, just the emotional scars from his experience. Thank you for helping so many to remember.
Rob
London, Canada

January 13, 2008

Delete
Blogger BILL said...

Hi from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for doing this blog. It has enabled me to connect somewhat with my late grandfather who was gassed at Ypres in WW1 but survived to return to Saskatchewan, Canada to work on the railroad. He lived the final 20 years of his life impaired by severely damaged lungs.
I look forward to the next blog.
-Bill

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found this blog through the CBC and have really enjoyed it.

There is no bitterness, anger or frustration just a stoicism that shines through in Harry's posts to England. How lonely it must have been fighting in the trenches and waiting, waiting, waiting for letters and parcels from home. I wonder if the 'folks' back in England had any idea what these poor chaps were going through.

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous friendly canuck said...

Hello,
I discovered this blog after the CBC story in Canada. I have read all the entries since the beginning, and this is a wonderful project. The letters manage to bring us back to 1917 and 1918, and I am very much looking forward to the next letter. Thank you so much for your dedication in bringing the letters to life!
I don't know Harry's fate, but I am afraid that I now have a good idea, from "reading between the lines" of a few of your editorial comments. I hope I am wrong...

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Aussie Shane said...

Absolutely fantastic !!!!
What a great way to follow a soldiers personal journey through WW1. I know it must be a labour of love and I'm sure everyone who is sharing this experience really appreciates all the work you are putting into it. Good on ya !!!

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous jean-Paul said...

Dear Sir,
Ihave just discovered your blog, thanks to a French newspaper, and I have been very interested to read nearly out all your ancestor's messages. I am personnally involved in WW1 as my grand-father died the very first month of the war (30th august 1914)and I discovered a large part of the story of m father's family when I decided to trace his soldier's story.I visited Pilkem Artillery Wood Cemetery(near Passendaele)and the grave of the Welsh poet Ellis H. Evans (Hedd Wyn)killed in action with thousands of brave british soldiers: 'A fine day's work' said General Haig! I think that you are going to make a good job revealing the new generations a large portion of a disappeared life of 90 years ago. Courage, continuez!
Jean-Paul.

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting work! Thank you! Greetings from Germany, Simon

January 14, 2008

Delete
Anonymous P., Dublin said...

Simply, honestly, genuinely... thank you.

January 14, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read about your blog today on Spiegel Online. Haven't had the time yet to look around more but wanted to take the time to thank your for all your work and effort!

It is a difficult topic and I am glad that you have so many interested readers here from all over the world. Thanks for sharing these private letters.

Sophia from Berlin, Germany.

URL of the Spiegel article: http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,528449,00.html

January 14, 2008

Matt said;-

I am currently reading your website blog re- your
grandfathers WWI exploits.
Without question, it is the most exciting and
interesting website I have ever come across
(which in your case was a most fortunate
chance on my part)I think you have designed
it wonderfully and your commentary is extremely
clear, concise and reads fantastically. I am still
back in 1916 so have a way to go. I don't know
whether you would want to read what I say
next, but it is how I feel.
Here goes.
 
Your blog also makes sad, why?, because I
want to have lived in this period, yes, even
going to war, at the risk of sounding flippant.
I feel it was a different mindset back then
and people seemed more honourable.
Even the fact that all his parcels of cake
getting through fills me with such pride
for the England (oops Gt Britain) that
was. (well do you think it would get
through today with such regularity?,
I am not sure).
 
And I feel you are like some dwindling
breed of the same ilk, I can glean this
from the way you write which throws
me clues as to your good self. So I offer
my thanks to you and your line for
upholding all the qualities that make
England
so great.
Thank you Matt

Blogger Vaibhav said...

Hello,

I, too, heard about your story on the CBC and completely agreed with them that this is a fantastic way to preserve the history of the First World War from a first-hand account. I'm a high school student, and I think this blog will appeal to others my age and also serve as a valuable resource for History projects! I've commented about your blog on my website, www.NotJustTheFuture.com.

-Vaibhav Gupta
Toronto, Ontario

3:40 PM

Delete
Blogger Michele said...

I saw your story on CBC news and immediately went to read all the letters and diaries that you have on this blog. What an amazing story! I find myself eager to read the next letter and find out what happens! I have posted your link on my blog and will be mentioning your site to my son's school. I think it's important that our children know what happened during WW1 and this is a wonderful way for them to do that. Thank you for taking the time to do this!
http://micheletreleaven.blogspot.com

Blogger Martyn said...

I thought you'd like to know that Adrienne Arsenault's piece has had considerable play having been on the CBC early evening news and late evening news on the main network and also on CBC Newsworld.

4:01 PM

Delete
Blogger Raj said...

Hello,
Just to let you know that I have posted your link in my blog. You may expect some Indian readers!
http://rbk137.blogspot.com/2008/01/blog-post.html

5:14 PM

Delete
Blogger michelle hays said...

Beautiful story. You must be very proud.

7:24 PM

Delete
Blogger Steve said...

This is a very interesting series. Thank you for sharing these letters.

I also have a number of letters written by my grandfather to his sister. I wished I would have thought of this creative way to publish his letters. Most of them were written while in basic training in Camp Funston, Kansas and then a few letters from a training camp on Long Island. He then shipped over to France where he was wounded at the Argonne. His story is here.

7:28 PM

Delete
Anonymous SimTV said...

Thank you. I feel the CBC version tells your story much better - should almost be compulsory viewing for schools.

8:57 PM

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was captivated by the CBC TV broadcast last night, and sat down at my computer immediately afterward.

What a wonderful project.

- G. Bryce,
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada

10:28 PM

Delete
Blogger Bobbi said...

This blog kept me up until 2 AM this morning. I couldn't stop reading all the entries. I heard about your blog on CBC last night and, well, that was that. Very well done. A fantastic idea. Be proud of yourself. I will be following along regularly to see if Harry will be alright.

Cheers,

Bobbi
Halifax, Nova Scotia

11:45 PM

Delete
Blogger marylea said...

I've spent tonight catching up on your fascinating blog. It is wonderful to read Harry's letters, and to recognize the incredible selflessness which permeates his correspondence. I wish Kate would write him more often! It seems he is asking for her letters time and again. How important the letters from his brother and sister seem to him! One gathers that he has a clear perspective on the importance of family and connections. Thank you for your most interesting blog! The history and the personal nature are quite compelling. God bless you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Northern Illinois, USA here...

Wow, this is such a great thing you are doing! I hope I am posting this to the right place! I am an administrator in a school district and this is blowing me away. I have shared it with all teachers and students and my own kids (my youngest...12) is really into this. This blog gives us so many new ideas, as well. It is amazing how hard it was for that generation. I had 2 grandfathers that were in this war and the next so, maybe this helps answer some of the questions I have.