Harry's Letters about the Battle of Messines Ridge

Collapse comments

Blogger JN said...

It must have been good to have loved ones back home so ready to please with little treats but above all comunications.

7:32 PM

Delete
Anonymous Mom of 5 said...

I've been studying up on WWI in my spare time and have found that the things that cement the details -- horrible and otherwise -- are the stories of the individuals, like your grandfather. I've bookmarked your excellent site and look forward to continued reading. Thank you!

5:24 PM

Delete
Blogger russellrussell said...

Your grandfathers letters are wonderfull, such an important account of the terible conditions these brave men had to endure, you must be so proud of him. One can only be inspired by their selfless call to duty unlike some of their senior officers who hid behind their labels. Their actions could not of been seen at the time to be so instrumental in shapeing the democracy and freedom we take for granted to-day. And some might say was it really all worth it?

11:25 AM

Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read "Birdsong" which I believe you mentioned the first time I saw your site. It was excellent and reveals the particular horrors experienced by the WWI soldiers. I suppose each war has its somewhat unique brand of horror. My mother (born 1906) lost her only brother on a bombing run over Germany on Easter Sunday 1944. But at least he was in comfortable lodgings when not flying. In fact, a couple of wealthy English spinsters entertained his crew on leave several times. My mother's parents passed away soon after WWII ended but Miss Violet Rhodes wrote to my mother for many years after the war was over. Neither my mother nor any of her 5 sisters ever got to visit Uncle Ken's grave in England. But I've inherited her copy of his picture, which has an honored place on my bookshelf. I barely remember him home on leave holding me in his arms and "dancing" with me.
Beverly
Oregon, USA

No comments: