Letters 2nd April 1918

edward said...one shilling was worth 12 pence at the moment, so you have more than halved little Willies' present :) there were 240 p in pound before 1971 ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling
very interesting blog btw
I think I got it right. My commentary meant that a shillng in 1918 converts to 5p in modern English currency. You are correct that it was 12 pence (but 12d not 12p!) in 1918. We're just getting confused with the dates and the change in British currency to decimal in 1971.

Anonymous said...this blog is a wonderful enterprise, is moving, is intriguing and extremely useful for me because I'm writing my diploma thesis (as Jungian analyst)about the war experience in UK in ww1, about the Comm. War Graves comm. birth, its deep meaning as trial to face the war horror and the families' pain for their dear dying in battlefields. Thanks for all !!
April 16, 2008

Anonymous said...Sounds like a great idea! Very sorry I won't be able to join you; I can only imagine how it'll feel, to stand where Harry stood. Please take lots of photos to share here on Harry's blog!-Gustav's great-granddaughter
April 15, 2008

SoldierGirl2008 said...No letter for more than two weeks! I hope Harry is alright!
My love just came back from Afghanistan after 6 months, and things seemed to be just the same for Harry and him... he eagerly awaited my letters and asked me to send his favourite chocolate and salami ;) And he kept all the letters and read them when things got too rocky. It helped him to get through the hard times!
So, Ethel, Jack, Kate, keep writing! And Harry, I keep my fingers crossed for you...
April 15, 2008

jaydee66 said...I only started reading this blog a couple of months ago. It's great. I've always had a fascination with the first World War. I think of it as the forgotten war. I did a history project on Passchendaele in school as a teenager and to read letters from someone who actually experienced it is amazing. Like others, although I know Harry is long gone, I still hope that he makes it through the next few months to the end of the war.
April 14, 2008

Maureeno said... Hello all, greetings from Asiago..thanks for this blog. It reminds to all of us the ww1 was a terrible and bloody period for our country as well..I also lost a relative in Piave front line and I hope a better end for Mr Lamin. keep up Henry...
April 13, 2008

Blogger Joel said... I love this blog! I check it every day. My only comment is that I cannot see a way to e-mail the blogmaster, and I think a little note at the beginning of the blog telling us when we can expect Harry's next letter would be helpful. Keep up the great work!
April 13, 2008
Sorry, no help with the next letter! Harry's relatives would just have to wait for the postman. So must Harry's readers. An email address is included in Harry's profile and a few lines down on this page. BL

princess-janine said...Hello, I just finished reading the blog so far and wanted to say what a great idea this is. :)
I definitely look forward to read and learn more about Harry's fate.
Btw, it was an article in my local newspaper that brought me here.
Link to the article: http://www.espace.ch/artikel_507051.html
Greetings from Switzerland
April 12, 2008

Anonymous said...Oh wow, you soooo.. deserve this trip. I hope you have a great time - but don't forget to share, we are all counting on you.
Linda
April 13, 2008

Tea N. Crumpet said...I am a letter writer and an envelope artist. I do email but it's not the same. My friends like getting my letters but they don't write back most of the time and e-mail me instead. I have a compulsion to put words on real paper.
This blog-- in addition to being fascinating, reminds me of why I write. Letters ARE appreciated.
April 05, 2008

Anonymous Steve said...To Tea N. Crumpet
I was in the RAF during the first gulf war and our families sent us Blueies
We used to keep them in our pockets and read them time and time again, specially when things were dull.
I remember one letter from my Girl friend at the time, It just used to keep me going when things were honestly so dull.
She remembers writing the letter spending time over a number of days trying to express what she wanted to say.
All of this is just not possible with email and I will assure you we keep this letter forever.
Btw shes my wife now.
April 09, 2008

Blogger Jürg said...Fantastic idea... great blog...
I'm from Switzerland and in today's (Saturday, 12. April 2008) Newspaper there is a whole page about your Blog... I've scanned it and could send it to you if you like. How can I reach you?
Best wishes from Messen, Switzerland
Thanks Jurg. I'd love a copy. You can email me direct bl@pool.cornwall.sch.uk. BL
Judith said ..Frederick William Ware was my grandfather, born in October 2,1887 in Warrington, England, and immigrated to Saint John, NB, Canada with his family around the turn of the century. Met and married my grandmother Florence (nee Mailman); and ,apparently, moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba where their children were born, my mother Florence being one of them. He joined up and was killed at Passchendaele, Belgium October 26, 1917; he had just turned 30. He left a widow and 4 small children who subsequently grew up in the orphanage, perhaps because their mother had no means to support them. As a result of their upbringing, they acquired few social skills and the marriages of three of them ended in divorce; the 4th died young in her 20's. There seemed to be a chain reaction in the family and my siblings and I also ended up in the orphanage when our parents' marriage broke up. All our marriages ended in divorce or separation except my older brother's who became a Mormon, I believe, because of the strong emphasis on family in that religion. Last summer my daughter and I went to Europe, to Warrington and to the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium, taking a tour of the War Cemeteries and the trenches as well. It was the most moving experience of my life. Thanks. Kind Regards from Canada .
April 4 2008
The horror of the front line was only part of the dreadful consequences of the war, spreading out like ripples, still affecting families today. BL


Julie said... In Harry's letter to Jack he had asked for more paper and envelopes so maybe he ran out and had to scrounge some. He often says that he will write more next time - it is like a paralysis of the mind has set in. But it is loud and clear how very special were those letters from home. France left an indelible impression, didn't it!
April 04, 2008

Anonymous voyance said...Thanks! Great Blog!
April 04, 2008

Blogger Tea N. Crumpet said... I am a letter writer and an envelope artist. I do email but it's not the same. My friends like getting my letters but they don't write back most of the time and e-mail me instead. I have a compulsion to put words on real paper.

This blog-- in addition to being fascinating, reminds me of why I write. Letters ARE appreciated.
April 05, 2008
Thank you for the Email! BL

No comments: