Back from Leave. Letter to Jack, 1st Oct 1918

We should all be aware that, of course, Harry had no idea when this war would end. He may have had a local awareness of what was happening in his small part of Italy, but would have absolutely no real idea of how the war was going. He was a Private soldier.

Just to be helpful, the armistice was NOT signed on November 11th in Italy. November 11th was the Western front's big day. BL


Jack has said...This is wonderful and I feel I'm not going to get much else done now I have discovered your blog! We have recently relocated to Romania for a year and decided to drive over so that we could stop in Ypres on the way over. It was a very emotional experience which fuelled my interest in everything about WW1, and we were very lucky to bump into 2 men from the Western Front Association (Essex branch) who gave us lots of information and suggested I look on the web. I don't think your site was specifically recommended but I am chuffed to have found it. Can't wait to read more about Harry and see what happens to him, bless his heart. Thank you SO MUCH for doing something so valuable and interesting on the net; there's some much pointless rubbish on it! All the best. Jacky. Mandy in Manitoba, Canada said...What a precious gift you've given to the world! More valuable than even the brightest jewel. For this is the jewel and so much more. Thank you for sharing and thank you to your grandfather and thank you to those who kept his story, his letters, safe all these years.
October 11, 2008

stefanie said...I just found your blog through a link on another blog. What a brilliant thing to do! I'm hooked and I haven't read anything but this introduction page. I'm inspired by the family literary thread that would cause Harry to write so many letters, those before you to preserve them, and you to pour so much of your time and energy into organizing, researching and presenting them as a gift to the world in such a creative fashion. Thanks!
October 11, 2008

erathwomen said...It's been 10 days...I hope Harry is ok....
October 11, 2008

G. Tingey said... NO - ON THE AUSTRIAN/ITALIAN Front, the (local) Armistice was 4th November.The Entire war stopped on the 11th, but there would not have been time for Harry's regiment to pack up, and go over to Belgium in the intervening 7 days.For more information see:here and here October 6, 2008
Rosemary said...I'm holding my breath now as the end of the war is in sight and I'm hoping Harry makes it home to the family.
I agree with the comment before about I wonder what Harry would think if he knew what an inspiration he is so many decades on? October 04, 2008

Nick said... I always feel humbled when I read the latest from Harry..In an age when most people are complaining about the price of petrol and why they aren't getting a pay rise this year, its hard to imagine the sacrifices Harry's generation made.I also feel its worth sparing a thought for our troops today, fighting what are becoming increasingly forgotten wars - something that I am sure the labour government are relieved about!

Anonymous said...The problem with foresight: holding my breath, and praying Harry makes it safely through the next forty days.....
October 01, 2008

Anonymous said...The cease fire was 11 November 1918. So today (2nd Oct 1918) there are 40 days remaining of the war.
Will Harry survive...
October 02, 2008

Anonymous Sgt. Sam Avery said...Hello Harry:I'm sure you enjoyed your leave. I'm now somewhere at sea between Halifax and Liverpool heading Over There to join the great adventure. Expect to land in about a week. Drop by and read a bit if you have the chance.
Regards, Sam
October 03, 2008

Anonymous said...Seven more weeks until the Armistice. Keep your head down, Harry!
JDMeier USA
01 October 2008

Kurt Sims said... "I shall have to make the best of it" I wonder what he would have thought if somebody told him 90 years on he could inspire others. Amazing blog sir, I love every minute of it and continue to hope for Harry's safe return.
September 30, 2008

Bronn said... Heyy :) Thought I'd leave a comment, since I'm doing my English GCSE and I'm writing about the war.
This is such a great idea, and a real help to me, I enjoy reading about Harry, I feel so involved in his life.
I may just have to let you know what grade I get in my coursework now, since this site has been my biggest research point . Thank you, and keep posting :)
xxx
September 30, 2008
Bronn, What lovely comment. Thank you. I'm sure we'll all be keen to know about your grades. BL

G. Tingey said...
Armistice on that front on Novemebr the 4th, after Austro-Hungarian collapse at battle of Vittorio (October 24th)
374 British casualties - that's killed AND wounded.
How big was the British force in Italy at that time - how many men?
September 30, 2008
I believe it was 3 Divisions. About 50,001 men but if anyone knows better.

374 casualties WAS minor compared to Flanders, but if one of those was your husband, father, grandfather..... BL


Anonymous said... Harry sounds a bit down to be back to the guns etc. It must have been strange to come back from leave. To anyone interested in this era I strongly recommend the WW I series by Anne Perry.
~S
October 01, 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I ceratinly recommend Anne Perry's WW1 books, they are well researched and give an incredible insight into the war that was supposed to end all wars.