Letter to Jack, 19th August 1918


Sgt Sam Avery said... Hello Harry:
Glad to hear that your grand leave is going well. We've started on a grand 15-day trek across the desert. Didn't join up to be a camel, what? Stop by and have a read when you get the chance.
Sam
August 30, 2008


CP said... Happy Birthday Harry! (a few days late)I just wanted to inform you that I have chosen your blog as one of my five picks for Blog Day 2008. Thank you for bringing us this unique voice!
http://blog.andvaranaut.es/2008/08/blog-day-2008/
August 31, 2008

Linda said... I've just put a link to your blog, and an endorsement of it, on my blog sitea; http://lindaswindow.blogspot.com/2008/09/terrific-blog-take-look.htmlI hope that's okay!This is an amazing piece of work, and something we should all thank you for doing.Thank you!
September 04, 2008

Anonymous said... In a way, all of us reading this blog are now also Harry's "family": and as you said, Bill, all that we can do is wait and hope and pray for his continued safety.
It's sad to think that Harry has missed more than half of his young son's life so far. My own father was in the Navy and spent perhaps two thirds of my childhood at sea; we knew why, we understood the call of duty, but it was still very tough on both him and those of us at home.
August 31, 2008

Robert said... I seem to have lost the thread of Harry's letters. Has the blog stopped? The last I heard was in mid-August. Anyone?
The last letter from Harry was on the 19th August. We can see from the War Diary that his Battalion were in the front line until 24th August but can only wait for any news. Sorry, but that's the way it is for Harry's family. BL

August 29, 2008
PMD said... Congratulations... keep moving we are with you all the way...........Regards, Jeetu
August 19, 2008

Anonymous said... Blog fantastic...If you are travelling through Auckland then try to get to the Akl war museum as there are displays of interest and relevance to Harry's experiences.I would be happy to meet and act as a (novice) guide!
August 22, 2008

Debbie said...
Phew! I always breathe a little sigh of relief when a new letter gets posted. Since the armistice with Germany comes in just a few months (11 November 1918), every letter is one step closer to a happy reunion for Harry and his family. I do hope when the saga is over, we'll get a thorough update on the remainder of Harry's life. Thanks for this blog and all the hard work. What a tribute to your family!
August 17, 2008
The armistice in Italy was a week earlier, 4th November 1918. BL

Soldier's Mail said... Hello Harry:
Glad to see you're still at it. Stop by for a good read about what the Americans have been up to on the Mexican Border!Regards, Sgt. Sam Avery
August 18, 2008

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Harry's story will be coming to an end soon. How am I going to get my fix of such a powerful story which brings history alive. I'm researching my family and have found war records for some of them from WW1 and this brings it all home.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Arlette

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this blog in January and not a day has gone by that I haven't logged on to check for a new entry from Harry.
He seemed such a simple man, got on the with the job and missed his family tremendously.
He is a real credit to your family. Thank you so much for sharing this insight. It means so much having a partner who was a soldier himself until recently.
Oh and finally - I live in Hull, right near to Newland. I was born in the area so it feels extra-special to read about it.
Leah, Hull.

Oogie McGuire said...

I too follow the blog regularly and have told many people about it. Keep up the good work!