Jono Wood


colagirl said...I'm sorry to hear that the man behind the maps of Harry's progress is gone. My thoughts and sympathy are with his wife and children on this unfortunate event. Nevertheless, he leaves behind a contribution that has been appreciated the world over.
February 11, 2010

Lee said...I served with Jono in the Duke of Wellington's Regiment. I saw your comments on the Dukes web site and your note on your blog.
Jono was my first platoon commander in 1979. I recall that no matter how cold it was, or how windy or wet, he would always strip off to the waist and have a daily wash out of his mess tin with the tiniest flannel on this planet. This he would do in full view of his troops without a shiver, If ever I felt cold or miserable, just looking up to my platoon commander made me feel safe. 

He earned our trust in him, we would have followed him to hell he was such a leader. He guided us to the champion platoon of the battalion and steered us through 2 tours of Northern Ireland before being promoted to Captain. Later he became company commander but never forgot his boys from 4 platoon, the champion platoon. 
I attach a picture for you of the platoon, Jono is unmistakably sat centre front, I am 5th in on the rear rank.. He was a special leader, the sort you do not come across very often, and sadly you do not realise until it is too late. Many of his 4 platoon boys went on to have fulll and varied army careers. It is only later in life after working with several platoon commanders and numorous officers that one realises how good Jono was at what he did. Regards ex WO2 Lee Greenwood, formerly, Private, Lance Corporal, and Corporal of 4 Platoon led by the then Lt Wood 
February 07, 2010

Roger O'Keeffe said...How sad, and how untimely. I hadn't even registered the fact that he missed the trip, I just assumed that he was there with you, even if there was no direct reference to him in your account of it.
His family must be devastated. It will be small consolation to them, but they should know that all the time that he spent contributing background material to the blog was greatly appreciated by a worldwide community.
February 07, 2010

Gustav's greatgranddaughter said...'Maryland's' comment says it well: Major Woods' maps and diagrams were a wonderful addition to this blog, and greatly appreciated. Our thanks to him, and condolences to his family. -
February 05, 2010

Rocco said...The 4 days adventure on the Asiago Plateau with Bill following Harry's footsteps were full of emotions. With Jono it would have been better. While we were talking of him, wondering why he didn't answer he was already gone. A very sad story. I hope his family will deal with this hard fate
February 04, 2010

Maryland said...Major Wood's contributions to the blog were enormously helpful to me. I would like his family to know how much we readers appreciate his work. Our prayers go out for those who mourn his passing. Thank you, Bill, for sharing the news.
February 04, 2010

No comments: