October 1919, comments


Nigel from Nottingham said...Dear Bill, My uncle served in North Africa in WW2 and was taken to Italy as a POW. He was killed in an allied air strike against a German munitions train at L'Aquila in December 1943. I intend to visit his grave in Ancona next year. I didn't realise that UK troops were also on the Italian front in WWI. Thanks for highlighting this in "real time" blog mode straight to modern day. Regards
October 27, 2009

Sgt. Sam Avery said...Hello Harry: Rumors in the Army are as natural as breathing. I'm still breathing also, right now in Verdun on some military business while the Regiment is holding the right flank of the Allied line during this push. Still dodging the big shells that come over behind the lines. Stop by for a read when you can. Regards, Sam
October 26, 2009

Kittybriton said...Good to hear you're keeping alright Harry. I should think if you stay overseas much longer you'll have to become an Italian citizen! And the way the officers treated you when you were cooking for them just serves to confirm another long-held belief that fellows like yourself who make life possible for the rest of us are never really appreciated. Well let me say this, Harry, you are appreciated. And I hope the country recognizes your contribution when you get home once more.
October 25, 2009

Dieter Finzen said...Bill, Thank you for the well done post about the blog. Inspired by your remarks about "All quiet on the Western Front" I have posted a small extract of the film showing what it´s like to be in a recruitment camp.
October 22, 2009

Anonymous said...thanks for this English link to Dieter's diary. As you noted, I had gone to look at it when it was posted earlier and as I can not read German, was disappointed I could not 'see' the other side of the line.
I'm sure it will be very informative. My step-father was in the 101st Airborne in WWII and found that the 'word' about what 'The other side' would do if you or women and children were captured were generally false or very exaggerated on BOTH sides.
October 20, 2009

Sam Avery said... Hello Harry: It's been more than 12 months since I've been home too. Now I'm back in the lines with the boys after getting done with the hospital. Dugouts, cooties [Lice] and the exchange of iron makes it seem homelike here as long as I'm back with the Company. Stop by for a read when you can Regards, Sam
October 18, 2009

Iwan said...eeemm and still no leave???
October 17, 2009

Kittybriton said...All I can say is, your patience, Harry, must be legendary! All this time since the armistice, and still no leave!
October 10, 2009

Sgt Sam Avery said... Hello Harry: Sorry to hear you're still stuck in the same spot, but hopefully you'll be home by Xmas. At least you're not being shot at as I soon will be again. Finally got out of the hospital and am enroute back to the Company. Big doings ahead I think. Stop by for a read since you must have so much free time. Best Regards, Sam
October 03, 2009

Alan Kirby said... Great blog! I just started reading it...going to skip back to the 1st entry and catch up with everyone else as soon as I can
October 04, 2009
Thank you Alan. Welcome to this wonderful community. BL

Kittybriton said...
Here's to you getting back in time for Christmas Harry. Goodness knows, you've done your bit and then some! I had no idea you would be kept hanging around overseas for so long, and as you say, I can understand that an indoor job will take a bit of getting used to after being outside so much but I know your family will be happy to have you home safely.
October 02, 2009

No comments: