August 1919 / 2009 Comments


Janell said...Climb every mountain, search high and low, follow every byway, every path you know. Harry will show you the way. Tell us of your experience. We would love to take the journey with you.
August 30, 2009

Tom in STL said...Interesting - I guess a lot of us use the SN for passwords - and I also use my M14 number as well. I did have to laugh when Bill followed the recitation of his number with "Sir!" Funny that my 1963 USA number had the same number of digits as his BA number - and was actually close to his numerically...
August 26, 2009

Anonymous said...Ah yes the good old service number, it's true you never forget it! 22 years on and mine has a new lease of life.....as a handy password for today's electronic age.
August 24, 2009
What a good idea. AAARGH, I've just published mine on the internet! BL

Kittybriton said...Fingers crossed for September leave!
August 22, 2009

Kittybriton said...Poor Harry! It just doesn't seem right after all you've been through and all you've done for us that the authorities keep you hanging around with no indication of when you might be demobbed.
August 21, 2009

Sgt Sam Avery said...Hello Harry: Glad to hear you are still well. I have been moved to an evacuation hospital at a chateau where I am getting along nicely after a dose of gas. A lot of chaps have the same problem and many are in worse shape. The nurses are quite nice here. Some class what? Stop by for a read when you can. Regards, Sam
August 17, 2009

Dieter Finzen said...Thank you very much for the great support you are giving my own project. It is greatly appreciated. With the help of friends I will be able to present my diary in English and in French.
Let´s start 12th september !
August 13, 2009

Ellen said...
He sounds like he is missing his family so much and it's dragging on for too long. My heart goes out to Harry, even more since the war is over and he is just stuck there. Hoping it doesn't do on too much longer for him. That he gets his leave or just gets to go home!
August 13, 2009

Kittybriton said...At last! Some prospect of leave. I hope it all goes smoothly and you actually get some time back in England, or would that be too much to hope for?
August 10, 2009

staring-into-space said... my dad told me about this site ages ago and I was amazed to see the letters were still being published! This is really special thanks so much for sharing them!! New Zealand
August 08, 2009

Florence said....I watched the funeral for Britain's last World War 1 Soldier on TV today. It was so wonderful that your countrymen honored Harry Patch with such a celebration of his life. In a way it was a celebration of thanks to all the soldiers from that generation. Did you ever think when you began your blog to honor your grandfather how timely it would be? You brought the Great War to the forefront in the minds of millions throughout the world. Harry Patch and Harry Lamin, two soldiers among the many who fought for their country. One will be remembered because he outlived them all; the other will be remembered because of his grandson. You are an inspiration. My best, Florence
August 07, 2009

Kittybriton said...After being abroad for so long, and the war finished, I'm sure you will be glad to get back to Blighty. I wonder you haven't started making plans to settle in Italy permanently!
August 07, 2009

Greg. Tingey. said...Some soldiers were, indeed, not "demobbed" until May or June 1920.Whether Harry was one of these, as you say, we'll have to wait and see.
August 06, 2009

Sgt Sam Avery said...Hello Harry: Just a note to tell you Im alright even tho in the hospital. Closest thing Ive had to a real rest since hitting France. Seems the Hun gave us the gas right up until the end and there are many chaps worse off than I am. Glad to hear you're well. Keep your chin up and stop by for a read when you can.
Regards, Sam
August 06, 2009

Jason said....The blogs are brilliant. What a wonderful idea and a great way to educate all people about so many aspects of life in our difficult world. I first heard about the first of Harry’s blogs some time ago because of a story and interview done on NPR in America. The various spin-offs are first rate and a real treat as well. I just wanted to thank you and the rest of your family for allowing us into Harry’s life. The blogs are tremendous, and together they really become perfect tools for learning about a period of history in which living witnesses are now unfortunately all too few. Thanks so much for creating such a valuable resource.

No comments: